Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Word of the Day: Verisimilitude

Today I find myself in the role of English teacher, offering a little tidbit of knowledge on the English language

Verisimilitude: (n.) the appearance of truth; the quality of seeming to be true

I was reading a Joan Didion essay and the word popped up, and I decided to assuage my curiosity by looking up the definition. I don't really know how it relates to anything (although one could say that a statement could exhibit verisimilitude if they were being specious or sophistic) Just thought it would be interesting.

On another note, my entries will be fewer and further between for the next month or so: I have made my school's varsity tennis team, and we have approximately 25 matches over the next 40 days. That equates to about 4 matches per 5 weekdays, plus practices. My earliest arrival will be at 6pm, often later, and then I get to deal with 3 AP courses worth of homework, dinner, and various other responsibilities. Although this will still periodically be updated.

No comments: