Friday, May 22, 2009

xkcd

I've always been a fan of some good humor and wit. There are a lot of ways to get your funnies out on the interwebz: Viral videos on Youtube and such, written gags or pranks, funny pictures (like LOLCats), etc. etc. One of my favorites has been the webcomic - the free comic book, available with a new issue every few days, all for your viewing enjoyment. I've taken a liking to a few over the years - Ctrl+Alt+Delete and Penny Arcade, to name a few. However, one has really captured my attentioned, called xkcd.

xkcd is not your traditional, stupid humor. Sometimes the comics aren't even funny at all. When they are, it's more than likely that they have geeky humor, obscure references, and a bit of insanity. I'm not sure what it is about xkcd that draws me in - it's constant use of geekery (I feel somewhat better to see that there
are people that are far nerdier than I, with constant references to networking, computers, and math in the comics), its sometimes emotional comics, or even its liberal use of craziness. Either way, it's just plain funny.

To show a couple of my favorite comics... (Click to see fullsize)
From the left...
  1. The most efficient method of making hash browns.
  2. Hehe, LHC jokes. I fail.
  3. Realy cool: The universe on a logarithmic scale. Note Snoop Dogg hanging around, and the cat being dropped off the top of the observable universe.








Oh, right. LINKY!

Oh, by the way, I'll be in Albany at the National Catholic Forensics League Grand National tournament until mid-Monday. No updates 'til then. Just keep yourself occupied by pressing the "random" button on xkcd. Yay!


No comments: