Monday, August 18, 2008

Composing is Hard

I clearly have creative inspirations above what I have the means to create. For the past week or so, I have been inspired with the idea of composing a song. About a week ago, I came up with a piano riff that I thought I could possibly run with. I have delusions of grandeur with this - two key changes, a string backing, and some inspiring lyrics.

Turns out it's not that easy. It's pretty hard to record a song, track by track, when you have no recording technology except a crappy laptop mic that does a pretty bad job at picking up spoken words. Recording a cello is out of the question.

Is it really worth it to spend a couple dozen dollars on something I'm not even close to needing? I think I have the potential to write at least one decent song, but does that really matter?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes - yes, it does matter! You should never hold anything like that back and I'm sure that whatever you've got inside of you is worth it - it always is.